Bath salt (also known as monkey dust or synthetic cathinones) is a designer drug that is similar to the active compound in the Khat plant. Khat is a mild stimulant that is popular in East Africa and Southern Arabia where people chew it for a boost of energy. Bath salt, however, is significantly more potent than the natural Khat and can be dangerous under certain conditions. Fortunately, there is bath salt addiction treatment in Atlanta for those caught up in its clutches.
How Bath Salt Can Affect the Brain
Bath salt works by changing various neurochemical functions in the brain. This action leads to changes in the person’s perception of reality, their behavior, and mood. The drug is a powerful stimulant and is known to cause sleep problems among people who abuse the drug. Some of the immediate effects of bath salt include:
- Increased heartbeat rate
- Overly friendliness
- Increased sex drive
- Excitement which can also be manifested as aggressive behavior
When taken with alcohol, as is often the case, the effect of bath salt can be greatly magnified.
How to Know if a Loved One is Addicted to Bath Salt
Bath salt can be very addictive as various studies have shown. Oftentimes, it is hard to know that a loved one is using the drug because consumption tends to take place during social events such as parties. There are however changes in behavior that can suggest that a loved one is struggling with bath salt addiction.
- Loss of appetite: One of the signs of bath salt addiction is that your loved one significantly reduces the amount of food he or she takes. This reduction will come with no obvious cause and even the victim may not be able to explain the loss of appetite.
- Insomnia: Bath salt consumption causes the victim to lose sleep and which in turn leads to chronic fatigue. One might notice that a loved one is always tired and related to this, there will be an observable decline in school performance or work productivity.
- Extreme mood swings: One might observe drastic changes in the mood of a loved one. For example, a previously friendly and laid-back teenager might suddenly become hostile and aggressive.
When trying to help a loved one, it is important to remember that he or she might be unable to stop using the drug without professional intervention. Start by talking to them about seeking help and do this with a very caring and non-judgmental approach. Once they are in agreement that they need help, approach a professional drug rehabilitation center that can help your loved one overcome the addiction.
How Bath Salt Addiction Treatment is Done in Atlanta, Georgia
Treatment for bath salt addiction includes both individual and group therapy. Treatment generally takes the following approaches:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy: The goal of this approach is to understand the underlying reasons why your loved one is using the drugs in the first place. It may be an issue of blending in with his or her peers, or it could be to deal with anger or guilt. Whatever the reason may be, understanding the root cause of this addiction and dealing with it are crucial steps in the healing process.
- Contingency management: This refers to an approach used to help individuals modify their behaviors through reward for making positive changes.
Get Help for Bath Salt Addiction in Atlanta, Georgia Today
If your loved one is struggling with a bath salt addiction, help is just a phone call away. Please reach out to our Atlanta addiction hotline at (678) 210-3857.